Sunday, November 05, 2006

I have been feeling so sick the past few days. This is the 5 1/2 week mark that I was dreading so much for the four boys. The thing is, for some reason I have conceived again: four girls who just implanted. The sextuplets, the quad boys and the quad girls are eight days apart each time. I have no idea what made me conceive so close together. I guess they were just trying to get a spot in our family. I have no idea how I can carry that many babies to term who are due so close together. It isn't the nutrition. I have full confidence in Doc Shillington's life saver, Total Nutrition. I guess I just don't know how they can all fit. Maybe some will be lost when I give birth, but I don't know. I know God has a plan.

The thing is, now that I am six weeks with the boys, I am five weeks with the girls. I have a day or three before I get sick again. I really want Merritt and Havala to come now, or after the sickness is over. I have been so miserable. I just have a few days of misery with each pregnancy, but the past couple have been getting worse. I actually got some ginger last night for the nausea. I haven't done that since the first.

Ok, so here is the break down:
Merritt & Havala
Caradoc & Laird
Forrest, Eliora, Zerusha & Sabiya
Duncan, Gareth, Phaedra & Nyissa
Baden & Xaviera
Jasher, Valeryn, Yassina, Qaturah, Idumea & Khalida
Wyndale, Obedias, Rowan & Uriel
Wilona, Vanya, Milada & Lahela

I think I grouped all identicals together. Remember that there are two, and exactly two ovulations for each set of multiples. Well, not the first. Merritt and Havala are from the same egg. I had never heard of such a thing. It is called half identical or polar twining. Evidently just before the egg loses viability it splits sometimes. I found it out when I asked if Merritt and Havala were from the same egg. I was trying to establish "No" but I got a very strong "Yes." I had to do a lot of research. I found a lot of information about it on Mothers of Multiples.

Anyway, I am not worried that I am "overdue" with twins. I figure with that many in there each child might need more time to bake a bit. I am floored that I am out of the first round through the alphabet. With the second round I am doing different letters for girls and boys than last time. For example Merritt is a boy, Milada is a girl.

Unusual things about my children:
Merritt and Havala are half identical
Sabiya is Zerusha's mirror twin (late splitting, they share both a placenta and an amniotic sac) There are real risks with this, mostly being wound up in each others cords. I do a regular check and if one is wound up, I ask them to unwind. They comply to my discomfort as they are still inside my ribs
(for the most part) on the right side.
I have ten sets of identical twins. The odds of having more than one set of identical twins are listed at 70,000.
I have four sets of quadruplets, each with identicals. The chance of quadruplets without fertility drugs is about 1 in 600,000. Of those the chance of any identicals is less than 8%. (The chance of identical triplets even without another baby is 1 in a million.)
The chance of sextuplets is 1 in 4.7 billion. Of those 2.74% have any identicals, mostly 2 identical 4 fraternal. (The chance of 4 identical babies even without the others is one in 11-13 million.)

When I first started looking at these rates, they overwhelmed and depressed me. I wondered HOW this could happen. The odds (even without the superfetation) of any of these things happening are universally against me. Now, it is more of a comfort. I see God's hand in this pregnancy. Statistically, yes this is impossible. Fortunately no one CC'ed God on that memo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home