Thursday, May 03, 2007

It is a nice thing to meet those of like mind to oneself. Last night, purely by chance we met a couple who is starting to live the life of which we dream. No, they do not work for a Fortune 500, make vast amounts of money, live in a house featured in Architectural Digest. Their children do not attend private boarding schools, and they do not jet set around the world. That is not the life for us.

They have goats, chickens, and more. They raise peacocks (how neat is that!) and rabbits along with their turkeys, chickens, geese and ducks. Their children run around their large yard, play with each other, and have fun together. This couple believes in home schooling, UC and more.

My dream is still that of a farmer's daughter. I want to live off the land, be self-sufficient and avoid those nasty chemicals. I want to raise my children in peace, I would love to raise them without fear, but I think that ship has already sailed. I love the peace of the outdoors. I love great oaks more than anything, they are peaceful and tranquil, reminding us that we are much too hasty.

We fret about too many things that do not matter, fight and anguish over things that in the grand scheme of things matter not at all. Who will care in 50 years that a child won a baseball game? Why do we push our children into a chaotic, hectic lifestyle to make up for parental inadequacies? What matters is that you teach your children to be good, kind, loving. In my mind teaching your children obsessive competition ranks up there with bad parenting.

I am not crusading to get others to follow my opinions on way of life. I think that crusaders all too often forget that there are other beliefs and ways of life in their zeal for conformity. I do not say that all ways of life are equal. I believe that equality is a mathematical concept ONLY and is not achievable in reality. True equality (where everything is exactly the same) is not even desirable. I believe not in equality, but in congruency.

In geometry if a shape is equal to another shape, it is merely because it is the same shape. i.e. triangle ABC is equal to triangle BCA. However, if something has the same angles, but is not the same, it is said to be congruent. i.e. triangle ABC is congruent to triangle EFG.

In this life we have congruent rights, congruent desires. We have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but are those rights equal? I don't think so. My life and desires are not the same (equal) to those of others. What would make me happy would doubtless make someone else miserable and vice versa. It is not fair for us to be equal, but our rights are congruent, not more or less, just not the same.

Someone who desires a stylish, immaculate house would hate to be me, but I want a chaotic house full of love that functions independent of chemicals. I believe that others have every right to want chemicals in their lives. I do not believe in making laws that would impinge on those rights and I demand the same.

My brother in law, John spent time in Russia and the Ukraine. There, in the remains of communism each person had identical apartments, down to the pictures on the walls. (They worshiped equality there.) It did not make people happy. Each person had different tastes, desires. Yet they were told to be equal, given devices to listen to their neighbors to make sure that no one had more. They were encouraged to report their neighbors for any violation. Gosh, this sounds like our last house in a subdivision. We even had neighbors videotaping us cleaning our yard to make sure we did it to their standards.

Let us not force equality, but encourage liberty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home